No announcement yet.

Marshall JCM 900`s ???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I forgot to mention, I definitely don`t want Thin tone!! Jack.

Comment

My ears felt the SLX sounded just like a Marshall but thinner. It just doesn't have the bottom end unless you turn it up REALLY loud.
      The 2210 is everything an SLX wished it was.
      Since you are looking for the Marshall tone and you aren't decided you should really consider the JMP1.

Comment

How much are the JMP1`s? Jack.

Comment

around $400 on Ebay I think.

Comment

OK John, I will check it out!! I think I just found out that the Marshall 2210/5`s have Diode Clipping? Is that only when the Boost button is engaged? Man am I Marshall illiterate!! Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by siggy14
              I will telll you again, the JMP-1 with a good power amp will get you all the JMP, JCM tones and then some! Yeah it will not be exact, however no two amps of any period have ever sounded exact. This pre-amp covers all basses and is very versitile.
              YUP. And when you get sick of it, you can sell it and get any other preamp you want to get away from "that damn Marshall sound"!

I had a JMP-1 - I liked it quite a bit, but didn't get too deeply into it due to a trade deal gone awry. I ended up sending it back to the guy a few days later because he realized that Yamaha guitars were imports!! Duh...

Comment

I'd personally stay away from the JCM 900s. Our other guitarist has one, and I'm not impressed with it's tone, period. I was also sadly dissapointed with the DSL 50, I recently played. Had zero clarity. I'm currently swaying toward the Peaveys, unless I can get my hands on an old Marshall 2210 or 2205.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                  I'd personally stay away from the JCM 900s. Our other guitarist has one, and I'm not impressed with it's tone, period. I was also sadly dissapointed with the DSL 50, I recently played. Had zero clarity. I'm currently swaying toward the Peaveys, unless I can get my hands on an old Marshall 2210 or 2205.

Sounds like good advice...

Marshalls after the 800 series went to hell. And I have owned a lot of them...

Comment

What they said, 900's are a bit shrill, thin sounding. That's why I hold onto my 800 for dear life!
                    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer
                      OK John, I will check it out!! I think I just found out that the Marshall 2210/5`s have Diode Clipping? Is that only when the Boost button is engaged? Man am I Marshall illiterate!! Jack.
                      No, the diode clipping is on all the time. They are inbetween the preamp stages. Its kind of like having a preamp pedal (like DOD250 or a YJM308) built into the amp. Very cool. Its the sole reason the 2210 doesn't need a pedal for metal.

The DSL and the TSL have plenty of gain for all types of music including thrash. I.. for one.. think the DSL 50 and 100 are both very nice sounding amps.

Comment

Man, had a DSL a while a while and IMO it was the biggest tone coffin for the money you could buy...

Sounded best on clean, with a Korg Hyper distortion up front, hehe... And man, I tried everything to lke that amp...

Comment

Don't get me started on my 'diode clipping' rant... in my opinion, you should judge an amp on three criteria:

1) TONE
                          2) reliability
                          3) cost

If it fits all three above, who gives a flying shit whether the tones are generated with diode clipping, tubes, modelling, radioactive elements not found in nature or whatever? WHY does it matter if it sounds good, doesn't break down and is in your price range?

BTW, some of the most coveted tones in history were made with tube amps and solid state devices pushing the front end - many of which had diodes in them. If you're going to be on an anti diode path, then don't use any tube screamers or super overdrives (or 99% of the overdrive pedals on the market, as they use diodes).

Ok, got that off my chest.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal
                            Man, had a DSL a while a while and IMO it was the biggest tone coffin for the money you could buy...

Sounded best on clean, with a Korg Hyper distortion up front, hehe... And man, I tried everything to lke that amp...
                            The DSL's I've heard and played through didn't do a lot for me - but some people who I respect like them (See JGCable's post above). This underlines the reason why you need to go out and play through these amps and not let the peanut gallery make any final decisions for you - because every amp that is out there has its detractors and its fans.

If you're not in a gigging band and under a deadline, take your time and look around your area for amps in your price range to try - no need to rush it.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal

I actually wanted to not like the DSL100 my bandmate uses. To the bands ears.. it sounds better than the 5150's that he has been using both recorded and live. Also.. it sounds better through the 5150 cabinets rather than the Marshall 1960's.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
                                Don't get me started on my 'diode clipping' rant... in my opinion, you should judge an amp on three criteria:

1) TONE
                                2) reliability
                                3) cost

If it fits all three above, who gives a flying shit whether the tones are generated with diode clipping, tubes, modelling, radioactive elements not found in nature or whatever? WHY does it matter if it sounds good, doesn't break down and is in your price range?

BTW, some of the most coveted tones in history were made with tube amps and solid state devices pushing the front end - many of which had diodes in them. If you're going to be on an anti diode path, then don't use any tube screamers or super overdrives (or 99% of the overdrive pedals on the market, as they use diodes).

Ok, got that off my chest.

Pete
                                +1.

Comment

Working...
                                X